- ½ med. pineapple, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cored
- ¾ stick unsalted butter, 6 T
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 2 t ground cardamom
- 2 t baking powder
- ¼ t Salt
- ¾ stick butter, softened, 6 T
- 1 Ccup granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 T dark Rrum
- ½ cup unsweetened pineapple juice (may also puree fresh pineapple, strain and use this juice)
- 2 T dark rum, for sprinkling over cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut pineapple crosswise into 3/8 inch-thick pieces.
Melt butter in a 12 inch iron skillet. Add brown sugar and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, 4 minutes.
Remove from heat, arrange pineapple on top of sugar & butter in concentric circles, overlapping.
Sift together flour, cardamom, baking powder and salt.
Beat butter in mixer until light and fluffy.
Slowly add in granulated sugar.
Add eggs one at a time, incorporating well.
Beat in vanilla and rum.
Add half of flour mixture, on low speed, until just blended.
Add pineapple juice, then remaining flour mix, until just blended.
Spoon batter over pineapple tpping, spreading evenly.
Bake in middle of oven until golden and tester comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Let cake stand in skillet 5 minutes, invert over a plate.
Sprinkle with remaining rum.
Serve cake warm or at room temperature. Serves 8-10.