The breathtaking scenery and beauty of the Texas Hill Country coupled with the abundance of things to do in the cities that populate it make this a prime area for fantastic road trips. With so much to do, it is hard to decide where to start. Save time planning and take a look at our suggestions for fantastic Texas Hill Country road trips! This way, you can get a good idea of what’s in store before you even visit.
Some of the Best Texas Hill Country Road Trips
Here are some of the top places to visit when you’re here. Local tip: for an especially spectacular panorama, visit during the spring or summer when the wildflowers are in bloom. If you time it right, you just might be lucky enough to catch sight of fields filled with the dreamy hues of Texas bluebonnets.
Wimberley to Austin
At around an hour’s distance, the trip from Wimberley to Austin will fly by. There are several routes you can take, but for a more scenic route, you’ll want to take Ranch Rd 12 N out of Wimberley. After a short while on this road, you’ll have the option to take TX-1 Loop N through Driftwood and on to the outskirts of Austin or head north to Dripping Springs and then toward Austin via W Hwy 290. Now that you’ve reached the city, it’s time to get started exploring!
You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Touring the Inner Space Cavern
- Stroll down South Congress Avenue
- Alternatively, visit the glitzy Domain
- Practice your swing at Top Golf
- Explore the Barton Creek Greenbelt
- Traverse obstacles at Lake Travis Waterloo Adventures
- Watch the world’s largest urban bat colony take flight off Congress Avenue Bridge
- Cool off in the aquamarine waters of Barton Springs Pool
- Spend some time at McKinney Falls State Park
- Stop and smell the flowers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Looking for more? Check out this bucket list!
Wimberley to San Antonio
Wimberley is also about an hour’s distance away from San Antonio. As with Austin, there are a few different ways to make this Texas Hill Country road trip.
If you’re in the mood to take the scenic route, you can drive along part of one of the most famous scenic drives in the Texas Hill Country on your way to San Antonio. Take Ranch Rd 12 S out of Wimberley, turn right onto Farm to Market 32, and you’ll be on one of the best portions of the Devil’s Backbone. You’ll pass by the stretch that is rumored to be haunted, the Devil’s Backbone Tavern, as well as the Devil’s Backbone Overlook if you’d like to stop and snap a picture. From Farm to Market 32, you’ll take 3424 S to 306 to US-281 S, which gets you the rest of the way. This route adds about 20 minutes to your trip, but it is well worth it.
You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Discover culture in the Pearl district
- Peruse the shops at the River Walk—a picturesque urban waterway
- Spend a few hours at the San Antonio Museum of Art or the McNay Art Museum
- Stroll through the San Antonio Botanical Garden
- Take a walk through history at the San Antonio Missions National Historic Park
- Visit the second oldest park in the United States
- Crane your neck at the largest Virgin Mary mosaic in the world
- Discover tranquility at the Japanese Tea Garden
- And of course, no visit to San Antonio is complete without a visit to the Alamo
- Wondering what else there is to do? Check out this list of 100 things to do in San Antonio!
Things to Do in Wimberley
In Wimberley, you’ll experience the peace and friendliness of a small town, with the diverse array of activities you’d expect to find in a large city. Of course, since Wimberley is right in the middle between Austin and San Antonio, visiting either of these cities is a breeze.
However, Wimberley is a destination in itself. The Texas Hill Country offers some of the most stunning landscapes in the state of Texas, and Wimberley is right in the heart of it all. Those in search of authentic Texan cuisine will be delighted to discover that Wimberley is brimming with fantastic restaurants serving up mouthwatering fare, and some of the most beautiful natural attractions are in and around Wimberley.
You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Follow the Devil’s Backbone Scenic Drive
- Search for treasures at Wimberley Market Days
- Jump off a rope swing at Blue Hole Regional Park
- Go on a scenic hike
- Treat your taste buds at the Salt Lick
- Relax for a bit at a local brewery or winery
- Try to see all the boots of Bootiful Wimberley
- Visit “The Jewel” of the Texas Hill Country
- Prepare to be wowed at Wimberley Glassworks
- Pay a visit to Texas’ oldest dance hall
- For even more suggestions, take a look at our free Vacation Guide!
Discover the Blair House Inn
You can immerse yourself in the cuisine of the surrounding Texas Hill Country by participating in cooking classes or enjoy local artwork in the inn’s gallery as well as in the rooms. Treat yourself to one of the best spas around without having to step foot off our beautiful grounds, and let the nature trails and sweeping views immerse you in the serene natural beauty of the Texas Hill Country.
You’ll discover a unique experience here not quite like any other around. Our luxurious accommodations ensure you’ll wake up every morning completely refreshed and rejuvenated, and our attention to detail will ensure that you feel pampered every moment during your stay. From the sumptuous linens to the weeknight homemade desserts, you can expect to have an unmatched experience at the Blair House Inn.
Take a look at everything our inn has to offer and book your stay in the gorgeous Texas Hill Country today!