If you haven’t yet had the opportunity to sip and swirl your way through Texas Hill Country Wineries, then this spring is the perfect opportunity. Not only will you the breathtaking natural beauty this area is known for, but you’ll have the chance to explore one of the country’s up-and-coming wine regions.
Texas is actually the site of the first vineyard in North America, which was established by Franciscan priests circa 1662. Today, Texas Wine Country is one of the most visited wine regions in the country. It’s the fifth-largest wine-producing state in the country and home to more than 100 Texas Hill Country wineries.
The Texas Hill Country is a veritable haven for wine enthusiasts worldwide. The trip is made even better when you choose to stay at our luxurious Hill Country Bed and Breakfast, located in the charming town of Wimberley. We offer 13 guest rooms and cottages with uncompromising luxury, one of the top restaurants in Wimberley, and an exceptional day spa that is ideal for pampered getaways. Discover the best place to stay in Wimberley, Texas today!
10 of the Best Texas Hill Country Wineries
Texas Wine Country is located just over an hour outside of Austin and San Antonio and just a four-hour drive from Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston. Around half of the Texas Hill Country Wineries are located near the charming and historic town of Fredericksburg, which is about an hour away from our Hill Country Bed and Breakfast. It’s the perfect place to start your tasting journey through Texas Wine Country.
As you tour around various Texas Hill Country wineries, don’t miss your chance to explore this area’s charming small towns and exceptional natural beauty. After all, the small-town feel of places like Wimberley and Fredericksburg is half the reason to visit Hill Country.
The best time to visit Texas Hill Country wineries is between March and May, when beautiful Texas Blue Bonnets and other wildflowers are in bloom. The harvest season in August, September, and October is a close second, though, when themed events and festivals take center stage. Below, we’ve curated a list of ten “not to miss” Texas Hill Country wineries to help you start planning your trip through Texas Wine Country.
- Texas Hills Vineyard serves an array of award-winning wines, with a special focus on Italian-style wines like Pinot Grigio and Syrah.
- Located just 25 minutes from Austin, Bell Springs Winery is a wonderful place to get away and enjoy some delicious hand-crafted wines. Between their small-production wines and delicious food, you’re sure to have a memorable experience in the Texas Hill Country.
- Pontotoc Vineyard is located in historic Fredericksburg, and they make wine from fruit sourced exclusively from Texas.
- Solaro Estate is located in beautiful Dripping Springs and produces sensational wines using sustainable farming practices.
- Driftwood Estate Winery is another one of the Texas Hill Country wineries producing excellent small-batch wines using exclusively Texas-grown fruit. Sipping wines from their beautiful bluff overlooking the vineyards is a wonderful way to enjoy an afternoon in the Texas Hill Country.
- Head to Kuhlman Cellars, where you can (and should) sample their signature Alluve, which mixes Tempranillo, Mourvedre, and Grenache. Their white blend, Calcaria blends Trebbiano, Roussanne, and Viognier and is also delicious.
- Take in some beautiful Hill Country views at Pedernales Cellars, where they focus primarily on Rhone and Spanish grapes.
- William Chris Vineyards, which uses Texas-grown grapes exclusively, is one of the most popular new Texas Hill Country wineries. They’ve become the leading producer of Mourvedre in Texas.
- Lost Draw Cellars is located in downtown Fredericksburg, making it an excellent stop for those who wish to explore this town. In addition to wine, they offer food and live music and most weekends.
- Fall Creek Vineyards is one of the more established Texas Hill Country wineries. Their first vineyard was planted in 1975, and today they produce an exceptional Sangiovese and their Salt Lick Tempranillo.
Wine Tours Through Texas Wine Country
If you’d rather not plan out your itinerary and prefer instead to join in a tour to the top Texas Hill Country wineries, you have plenty of options. We recommend our guests partner with Taste of the Hills wine tours, based right here in Wimberley. They offer two different public wine tour options on weekends and private tours that can be arranged individually. All tours include scenic drives and visits to the area’s top Texas Hill Country wineries, like Driftwood Estate Winery, Fall Creek Vineyards, and Duchman Family Winery.
However you spend your day, know the upscale, relaxing accommodations at our Hill Country Bed and Breakfast are waiting for you. Each of our guest rooms is individually designed with special touches throughout to make your stay memorable. If you’re ready to visit the top Texas Hill Country wineries this year, book your room at our stunning Hill Country lodging today!